What better way for me to celebrate Mother's Day this year than to invite my own mum along for a chat. I started this podcast because I wanted women over 40 to have a platform to share their stories , to be heard and feel seen so I couldn't think of a better way to show my mum some love than to include her in this conversation.
How often do we really sit down and listen to older members of our family and friends , It's easy to forget they had a life before being a parent and I loved this weeks chat with my mum. To say that my mum has had her share of battles along the way is an under statement yet her attitude to life has always remained positive and she has shown my sister Deborah and I such strength of character.
My mum has suffered with Multiple Sclerosis since I was 2 years old and has had a rollercoaster life with remissions and long periods of illness but her upbeat attitude has helped carry her through. Unfortunately she now has a rare blood cancer to cope with and as we expected she is tackling this with her usual tenacious and pragmatic attitude. Glenda will be 78 this year and there's been many times when she was told she wouldn't make it so every moment spent together is even more precious.
- Leaving home at 16 an moving to another place solo
- Music & Life in the 60's
- Being diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis at 27
- the impact that had her life and our the family
- Multiple Sclerosis Society charity It is estimated that more than 130,000 people live with multiple sclerosis in the UK. MS damages nerves in your body and makes it harder to do everyday things like walking, talking, eating and thinking. It can be relentless, painful and disabling. Across the UK more than 240 local MS Society groups provide support and information to anyone living with MS. The groups, all run by volunteers, offer a brilliant way to meet others affected by the condition and help reduce isolation. A wide range of services and support are available, from social activities and exercise classes, to therapies like physio and massage. The free MS Helpline receives thousands of calls every year from people with MS or their friends, family and carers. Specially trained staff and volunteers provide confidential and free emotional support and information on anything to do with MS, including symptoms, treatments, disability benefits and exercise. MS nurses are on hand to answer medical related queries and a befriending service is available too.The MS Helpline can be contacted on 0808 800 8000, Monday to Friday, 9am to 7pm except bank holidays. You can also email email@example.com
- Finding courage to start again after divorce at 40
- Community work and confidence building
- Lockdown life
- Finding joy through her Grandchildren
- Ancestry- Discovering family history and finding closure
- Living with cancer
I hope you enjoy this episode and more importantly I hope it encourages you to stop and take time out to spend with your loved ones too.
Happy Mothers Day!
Don't miss any of the inspiring Liberte Free to Be women, you can go and subscribe at www.rachelperu.co.uk and come and say hello on Instagram! @rachelperu1
I'll be back in a fortnight, but in the meantime
Keep being fabulous
I love sharing all these amazing and inspiring women and have learnt so much from all of them, If you enjoy listening to them as much as I do, then please feel free to Buy Me A Coffee I really appreciate your support.
I have now created a FREE "Step Liberte Free to Be" private Facebook group.
A safe space to share and feel part of a community of women all finding their own way through midlife.
Where you get to hear from amazing women who are embracing life and leaving a trail of inspiration along the way.
Encouraging women after 40 to try something new and step out of their own bubble.
A group to share, celebrate wins, encourage and support other members.It's your time to shine!
I'll be back in a fortnight, but in the meantime come and say hello over on Instagram @rachelperu1
If you'd like a weekly dose of midlife inspiration you can also subscribe to my weekly Bubble Newsletter
(Music credited to Scott Holmes- By Big Adventure)
#confidence #positive #inspiring#outofthebubblepodcast #stepoutofthebubble #personaljournals #sharingstories #inspiringwomen #womensupportingwomen #midlifewomen #financialplanning #moneytalk #womensfinancialplanning #moneymatters
Liberte Free to Be Podcasts
Ep.33 with Kaz FoncettPodcast
Liberte Free to Be champions women who are embracing life and leaving a trail of inspiration along the way. Inspiring others to become more confident in body and mind and spirit.
We all have a story to tell.